High School Region: Churchill
Mission Statement: Family School’s motto, From Roots to Wings, expresses our instructional focus of providing strong foundational skills to nurture student’s independence and life-long learning.
Program Description: Family School embraces child-centered, developmental learning that involves families, students and teachers working together in a multi-age setting. Our multi-grade classrooms support strong academic achievement. The wide range of skills and abilities in a blended classroom nurtures the whole child through peer modeling and cooperation. The project-based curriculum is flexible and adapted to meet the needs of our students, allowing each student to progress at her or his own pace.
- Strong academics: Emphasis on literature-based language arts, hands-on math, science and social studies, integrated with multicultural themes
- Explorations: Multi-age, daily choice enrichment classes blending 1st–5th grades in visual and performing arts, science, journalism and technology.
- 4th/5th-grade mentorship program: Pairing students with community members to learn about professions, arts and services; Outdoor School in alternate years
- Peer mediation program: Students working in teams to problem-solve with their peers on the playground and other settings at school
- Title I school: Providing supplemental academic support for individuals in small group settings or one on one