High School Region: Churchill
Mission Statement: Family School’s motto, From Roots to Wings, expresses our instructional focus of providing strong foundational skills to nurture student’s independence and life-long learning.
Program Description: Family School embraces child-centered, developmental learning that involves families, students and teachers working together in a multi-age setting. Our multi-grade classrooms support strong academic achievement. The wide range of skills and abilities in a blended classroom nurtures the whole child through peer modeling and cooperation. The project-based curriculum is flexible and adapted to meet the needs of our students, allowing each student to progress at her or his own pace.
Family School’s grade 6–8 program continues the child-centered focus of the elementary grades while guiding students through the challenges of middle school. Students are also included in the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math ) program at ATA Middle School.
- Strong academics: Emphasis on literature-based language arts, hands-on math, science and social studies, integrated with multicultural themes
- Explorations: Multi-age, daily choice enrichment classes blending 1st–5th grades in visual and performing arts, science, journalism and technology.
- 4th/5th-grade mentorship program: Pairing students with community members to learn about professions, arts and services; Outdoor School in alternate years
- Peer mediation program: Students working in teams to problem-solve with their peers on the playground and other settings at school
- Title I school: Providing supplemental academic support for individuals in small group settings or one on one